How to Have Blessed Assurance (Of God's Love)

In Hebrews 10:22, God grants His children the "full assurance of faith." 

What does faith mean?

Faith is defined as certainty, conviction, confidence, satisfaction.

Or consider Hebrews 11:1(New King James Version)

Now faith is the [a]substance of things hoped for, the [b]evidence of things not seen.

The word Blessed (before) assurance: 

The old hymn "Blessed Assurance" (Fanny Crosby) is a hymn we often cover in our congregational worship. It's an easy, singable hymn but so rich with theology, as many "old time" hymns are.  

I looked deeper, first of the title: 

and asked

Can assurance be a verb? 


I got curious... and looked at what other bloggers had to say. This one, from Desiring God: 

But like most things in the Christian life, assurance is something that is cultivated and grows deeper and stronger over time. It is a gift that God gives to us, according to Newton, gradually through frequent testing.

Hmm... grows deeper and stronger over time. 

So, faith is not a once and done deal. Assurance is not a noun, is it? 

Since the Christian walk is teaching us to rely on Jesus Christ as our Lord, savior, and our all in all, our everything, NO.

Assurance means the walk is ongoing. 

In going back to the first line:

Blessed Assurance, Jesus is mine means that we have Him to turn to again and again and again. 

Consider the next line of the song:

Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine! 

A forestaste! Learn to depend on God now, understand how to depend on God forever, from here on out into the heavenly realm. 

Faith is the assurance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen. (Heb. 11:1) 

It's taking the first step, then the next, then the next, without seeing what's at the top of the staircase or the entire staircase itself. It's like climbing the stairs in the dark, with only each next stair gets lighted up, and that's by the light of Jesus. 

Recently, a10-year-old boy got baptized in our church. When he was asked by our pastor, did he accept Christ as his Savior? He answered with "Assuredly!" 

Wow! That's the confidence only Jesus can give. 

Lysa Terkeurst asks, "what would happen in our lives if we really lived in the absolute assurance of God's love in the midst of our disappointments?"

Lysa Terkeurst (It's Not Supposed to Be this Way) C.2018 

What I wrote was complete and total surrender. Let me explain:

This question reminds me of one I came across when doing in my old song publishing project What I had asked was what would you do if you had no fear? 

Som this question in the bible study lesson is common where I have an idea this sender is something to do with and something along the lines of freedom. 

It's fear that often holds us back, but Fear is a Liar, as Zach Wilson sings. And fear is not of God.  I would argue that God is freedom.  And because God's love grants us that freedom, because his love could be like guard rails along the Pacific Coast Highway, enabling us to go fast or slow, but enjoying the drive, trusting that we'll make it to our destination, and enjoying the view as we go. 

Without those rails, wouldn't we be too worried about slipping off the cliff? The worry, fear and anxiety would limit the pleasantness of the experience and more than that it would distract us from getting t where need to of. Maybe we 'd look for another route, one a little but that might cause us to stray off the beaten path. 

Hmmm... 

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.

Salvation plan: 
A - Acknowledge
B - believe *in your heart
C - Call on His name. "Lord, Save ME!" 

We do this song Blessed Assurance often, in our congregation: 


"Blessed Assurance" By Fanny Crosby

[Verse 1]
Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!



[Refrain]
This is my story, this is my song
Praising my Savior all the day long
This is my story, this is my song
Praising my Savior all the day long

[Verse 2]
Perfect submission, perfect delight
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight.
Angels descending, bring from above.
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love

[Refrain]
This is my story, this is my song.
Praising my Savior all the day long
This is my story, this is my song
Praising my Savior all the day long

[Verse 3]
Perfect submission, all is at rest
I in my Savior am happy and blest
Watching and waiting, looking above
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love


References: How God Gives Assurance | Desiring God

Lysa Terkeurst (It's Not Supposed to Be this Way) C.2018

Christian Life Is Paradoxical. Embrace It. (thegospelcoalition.org)

Comments