10 verses in John chapter 14 for Valentine's day


One of the bible studies I'm taking this year is the book of John. This great book in the bible, one of the 4 gospels and written by "the disciple whom Jesus loved" the apostle John. It's filled with Jesus' story and his red letters. 

And the Lord's love. 

Yesterday I read in John chapter 14. As I read, I couldn't help but admire how He spoke to His disciples, as He was preparing them for the tragedy turned victory that was to come, in His death, burial and resurrection. 

Many Christians consider the weight of John14:6 "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the father but through Me." It's the 6th of Jesus' 7 "I AM" statement and it is a verse of love, for sure. 

As I read, I was able to pray and ask the Lord to reveal to me other verses that speak of Jesus' love, and He found me 10! 

Here they are: 

1.) John 14:1 

Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.

2.) John 14:2 

In My Father's house are many mansions, if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 

This is Jesus' first hint that He is coming back, but first He is going to prepare a place for us to go with him next time, and we'll have a place to stay. (Some bible versions say we'll have a room, still, it's a designated place for His followers, in heaven).

3.) John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." 

Jesus reminds us of His exclusivity. We need Jesus to come to God. 

4.) John 14:13: And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 

In the next verse, verse 14, Jesus reiterates anything that you do ask in His name will be done. This is why at the end of our prayers and before we say Amen, we say "In your name, or in Jesus' name we pray." because He specifically commands this, and it's not that God (or Jesus) is a genie, or at our command, but He stresses the importance of prayer because of what prayer does for  us in in us; it changes us and brings us closer to God.

5.) John 14:16 And I will pray the father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever-- 

Here Jesus is promising and forecasting the Holy Spirit, the comforter to help us when His spirit is poured out on us at Pentecost and from then on.

6.) John 14:18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. 

Here Jesus promises His return. He tells the disciples He needs to leave, but He will also be back. He will never abandon them. 

7.) John 14:19 "A little while longer and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me, Because I live, you will live also."

Another foreshadowing: even though Jesus will be killed, He will not die. Because He is killed, he is the sacrifice that will die in our place and brings believers eternal life.

8.) John 14:21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.

If you love Jesus, God loves you and if you love God and believe in Jesus, he will make Himself known to you, and indwell believers with the Holy Spirit. 

9.) John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

This is such a beautiful verse reminding us again not to be troubled or afraid and when we trust in Jesus, there is a peace that surpasses understanding and that only He gives true peace.

10.) John 14:29 "And now I have told you before it comes, that when it does come to pass, you may believe." 

Those who experience Jesus' power are forever changed, forever believers, and He is forever in and with them. 

He was again foreshadowing Pentecost, when His holy Spirit was poured out on all believers and everyone was filled with His holy spirit and power, but this still happens today when a believer gives their life to Jesus.

Do you have a favorite verse from this list, or what's your favorite verse from John Chapter 14? Thanks

Like this blog post? Sign up for future blog posts in your inbox, right here. Thanks! See you soon.

Comments