Always - new song for December

Something remarkable happens when your eyes are opened to the lyrics of a song written to bring glory to God, as all Godly songs should. 
We are covering this song this Sunday, introduced it last weekend, and as God wills, it is added into our repertoire as we go forward into 2024. 
Today as I prayed about how I wanted to compose this blog post; God brought me to thinking about and analyzing the grammar of it. 
First of all, the title: Always. 

What is the difference between the two words "always" vs. "ever?" 
and "always" vs."FORever" 

Always versus ever: 

First, I consulted the English: Always Means "At all times" and "on every occasion." 

She always wears a hat. 

Ever is an intensifier, intensifies the noun, such as: This is the best cake ever! She is ever so kind. 
or, Did you ever finish that book? Have you ever been to Paris? 

  • Contrast this with, does your husband ever buy you flowers? (has he ever, even if once) vs. Does your husband always buy you flowers? 
As long as your head's not hurting yet! Check this out:
Always versus FOREVER - (this blew my mind) 
Always generally refers to the ongoing (everlasting) while forever is a definitive that means it will never end.

And then you get into everlasting vs. eternal (major difference there is everlasting actually has to have a beginning, whereas God always was. 

(See what I did there-- I brought us right back to our main word: Always, Class. 

(Think that I can teach ESL now?!)

Then, still with the Lord's leading, I took it further and started to examine all the grammar of the lyrics. These songwriters sure know HOW TO write a song! 

(If I ever write a Jesus song, ohh... boy, I sure hope I have God on my side too.)
God's word is so, deep and rich, so why shouldn't the songs written about Him be, too? 
Full lyrics are below, but bear with me please as I dissect the verses: 


PAST TENSE: 
I believe You gave sight to the blind 
I believe that the dead came to life
I believe there were wonders and signs

You're still the same PRESENT TENSE 
PRESENT TENSE
I believe every word that You say
I believe there are scars in Your hands
That Your goodness is good without end
And You'll never change
PRESENT TENSE:
I will tell of Your wonders, sing of Your grace
The God of creation knows me by name
The Lord is faithful
Yesterday, now and always, always
(yesterday, now and always basically = What's that? Oh! Yup. FOREVER.)
PRESENT TENSE, still: 
Your mercy is mighty, age after age
And all generations will bow down and praise
The Lord is faithful
Yesterday, now and always, always

FUTURE TENSE:
I believe You will come in the clouds
I believe You are here even now
In Your presence I know there is power (PRESENT TENSE)
Power to save, oh
I will tell of Your wonders, sing of Your grace
The God of creation knows me by name
The Lord is faithful
Yesterday, now and always, always
Your mercy is mighty, age after age
And all generations will bow down and praise
The Lord is faithful
Yesterday, now and always, always
You were, You are
You always will be God
You were (You were), You are (You are)
You always will be God
Yes, You always will be God
I will tell of Your wonders, sing of Your grace (sing of Your grace)
The God of creation knows me by name
The Lord is faithful
Yesterday, now and always, always
Your mercy is mighty, age after age (age after age)
And all generations will bow down and praise (will bow down and praise)
The Lord is faithful
Yesterday, now and always, always (oh)
You were (You were), You are (Yes, You are)
You always will be God (You always will be God)
You were (You were), You are (You are)
You always will be God
Oh, You always will be God
Your mercy is mighty age after age
And all generations will bow down and praise
The Lord is faithful
Yesterday, now and always
Songwriters: Jess Cates, Benjamin Glover, Christopher Tomlin, Daniel Anderson Carson, Jeff William Sojka. For non-commercial use only.

Hebrews 13:8

2.      Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

and Revelation 1:8

“I am the Alpha and the Omega, [a]the Beginning and the End,” says the [b]Lord, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”


We change; life is about change. Did you know you can have a God who calls Himself your =

We change life is all about change God never changes. That’s just the stability we need.

There is something powerful when we come together remind ourselves that this is who we worship, this powerful and personal God.

He is, as the book of Revelation says, the God who was, who is and who is to come. (Rev. 1:8)


 Here is the song: 



Like this blog post? Sign up for future blog posts in your inbox, right here. Thanks! See you soon. 


 Photo by Casey Horner on Unsplash

 


Comments