How Does a Christian Respond to a Compliment?


When someone compliments you, the polite and graceful way to respond is to say thank you. 

When someone gives you a compliment the best thing to say is thank you, right? 

Right... sort of.  It's not wrong.

But the best way for a Christian to respond is to --as most of our Christian walk entails---to respond in a way that is counter-cultural.

I remember the first time I heard someone respond this way. It was the first time my husband and I attended our current church, actually. 

During offering, a lady sang a song and strummed her guitar. I remember thinking I loved the sound of this lady's voice. And, she had a nice guitar sound too. When she walked past where we were sitting, over the applause I said, "Great job!"

And her response which now I understand fully and even agree with, but at the time I remember thinking WHAT??! Did she just reject my compliment? 

Ouch. 

Recently at a women's bible study, I listened as one of our praise team members explained that whenever she receives a compliment about a song we did that morning, or last week, she tells them the same response. 

It is this:

"Praise God."

What this phrase means. 

When we praise God, sure, it may seem like we've just rejected our compliment. It may seem like we are outright refusing it. 

And we are. 

Why? 

Because praising God gives the glory back to God. 

God! The Creator who is in control of the universe, the One who equipped us with the talent or skill and provided the opportunity to use it. 

Before I fully "got it," our pastor also said the same thing after I had complimented him after a sermon on his delivery of the sermon. 

"Great message, thank you," I said, probably in my spiritual immaturity, trying to "win" over our new head clergy. 

"Praise God!" It felt like he snapped back, his head whipping around to me as fast as he said the phrase. 

Until we're used to it, it's not often comfortable to hear this phrase said back to us. Or to respond with it. 

To hear it in general. It goes against our natural humanity. 

We want to say thank YOU: Thank you for being so kind to share that. me. Thank you for thinking of me. Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts. Thank you for wanting to make my day.  

I, like the rest of the world, was conditioned to understand that saying thank you was the most gracious self-respecting, and even humble way to respond. Choosing instead to swap phrases and respond instead with "Praise God!"

It's our goal is to point others to Jesus. 

There are many songs we do that talk about giving God praise. 

We need to remember to do so ourselves.  

Our selfishness doesn't want to deflect the attention (and praise!) away from ourselves.  

But, when we give God the praise and ask that person to praise God as well, we are giving God the glory and honor. 

Why Praise God? 

The Bible encourages it.  From Genesis to Revelation, we are encouraged to Praise the Lord. Here are just a few:

Isaiah 43:21

“The people whom I formed for Myself
Will declare My praise.


Psalm 105:45

So that they might keep His statutes
And observe His laws,
Praise the Lord!

Revelation 19:1

After these things I heard something like a loud voice of a great multitude in heaven, saying,“Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God;

It's a right response to a holy, majestic, awesome God. 

Psalm 112:1

Praise the Lord!
How blessed is the man who fears the Lord,
Who greatly delights in His commandments.

It grows your faith. 

Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness,
And for His wonderful works to the children of men!   Psalm 107:8

What 'Praising God' looks like:

Singing songs on Sunday mornings and partaking in the corporate worship of your church, praying "Grace" before meals, and keeping Him your focus as you go throughout the day, however, wherever and whenever you are praising God. Even witnessing his splendor in nature (sunsets?!), just know that praise is a right response to a holy and just God, the creator and operator of the universe. 

So, after reading this post, are you considering responding differently next time next time you're given a compliment? 

Like this blog post? Consider signing up for future blog posts in your inbox, right here. Thanks! See you soon. 

References/to read further: 

 Why is praising God important? | GotQuestions.org

53 Bible verses about Praise The Lord (knowing-jesus.com)

Photo by Brooke Cagle on Unsplash (I added text.)





Comments

  1. How does this change your view of God and His goodness?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment